Mapes & Sprowl Steel
Founded in 1927, Mapes & Sprowl Steel is a leading service center specializing in enameling steel for porcelain-coating applications, silicon electrical steel for electrical applications, Agion® antimicrobial treated steel, and electrical steel cores. Mapes & Sprowl continues to advance thin gauge processing, an is capable of processing down to 0.004” thick material, offering the widest array of options of electrical material for our customers.
Visit Mapes & Sprowl Website
Mapes & Sprowl Steel specializes in:
- Grain Oriented (GO), Non-Grain Oriented (NGO), and Cold Rolled Motor Lamination (CRML). We also offer thin gauge, low loss grades for special applications with technical support to better understand customer needs and recommend most cost-effective material for intended applications. Our engineering department can offer extensive material characterization in Epstein or Ring form
- Enameling steel which resist fishscaling and carbon boil during the enameling process, providing the sag resistance needed during the firing process. The result for you is quality end products run after run. Mapes carries ASTM A424 Type 1, 2 and 3
- Agion Antimicrobial Treated Steel suppresses the growth of bacteria, molds, fungi, and other microbes, making it the go-to product for applications where antimicrobial protection is required or desired. Afion treated antimicrobial steel and processing you need to shield you from what you cannot see
In addition, Mapes & Sprowl offers:
- Distributed Gap (DG) Cores: We offer a variety of DG Core sizes and designs most commonly used in small to medium distribution transformers. Our process produced DG cores that increase efficiency while maintaining material costs due to our ability to enhance the magnetic characteristics by annealing
- Cut Cores: These cut cores are produced by winding long strips of electrical steel on a mandrel to tight specifications. After a precision cutting process the core is split into two pieces. The individual cores take on a “C” shaped configuration with rectangular rounded corners.
- Toroids: Production of cut cores by winding long strips of electrical steel on a mandrel to tight specifications.
- Tapes & Assembled Shunts: Utilizing proven technology to produce shunts in a wide range of sizes and tolerance specifications. Materials available, slit in house, from widths of 0.60” to 21.0” in thicknesses from 0.004” to 0.025”.
Learn More About Value Added Products